Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a GE Profile Microwave that has started sparking…

Customer Question
We have a GE...

We have a GE Profile Microwave that has started sparking inside once in a while. Frequency has increased. Model isJES2251SJ02, Serial number is ***** 85370U. This is our second as the first cought fire. We are concerned it might happen again.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I sent you the Model number. Age is about 6 or 7 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, except we use it a lot and need it working.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 day by:
11/29/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Hello, I am sorry nobody has gotten back to you yet. Are you still needing help with this? It is likely that the cavity has some finish damage and it is dangerous to use like that.

It was a long time. I called the dealer we got it from and they suggested there might be some grease inside. I checked. There was. Less than bb size on the screen like spot on the left. I think he called it a wave mixer. Grease removed, no more sparking. Our first one caught fire on thanksgiving day about 6 years ago.

Odd that it would spark from that. Be sure to check the cavity for any signs of the finish coming off, especially at the shelf hooks! Thank you for posting back. Have a peaceful evening....