Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a whirlpool cabrio washer that 2 minutes into the…

Customer Question
We have a whirlpool...

We have a whirlpool cabrio washer that 2 minutes into the spin cycle makes a loud grinding noise. The error codes are F1 E2. My wife said it has a faint burn smell to it. Any ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is about 6 years old. The model number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I have already pulled the motor out to see if I could see or smell any burning smell.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That should be it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/26/2017
Appliance Technician: Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issues today. Please give me a minute to review your question.

Ok

Is it a grinding sound or more of a howling? When you took out the motor did you notice any sort of discoloring or anything on the bottom down there by the motor?

The belt pulley has discoloring. It was a grinding

Alright and it was like a brownish discoloring?

Correct

Alright well that is definitely unfortunate and not a good sign, what that means is that the seal on the transmission went out and allowed water to drip through that down to the bottom, the grinding you are hearing is either from the bearing on the transmission or the gears inside, either way that means that the transmission will have to be replaced. The part number for the replacement transmission is W11132267 and it can be purchased HERE from a company with 365 day returns, it looks like the part is around $175. This is a fairly common issue on this style of washer and I have changed quite a few of these myself, generally what it entails is completely tearing apart the washer, both top and bottom, and then that transmission is secured in from the bottom by 10mm lag bolts. Once those are all out and the clip from the inner tub is removed the old transmission should come out and you just secure the new one in the same way but you also have to take some things off of the old one like the motor, RPS and capacitor. It isn't too terribly difficult to change it just takes a while, the new part does also come with instructions for changing it out as well.

I was happy to assist you with this issue today, if you wouldn't mind taking a moment to rate my service today with the stars along the top of the page it would be greatly appreciated and is the only way I will receive credit for helping you! I always strive for 5 star service and if you do have any more questions after rating me you can always come back to this question and post them