Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool gold refrigerator freezer is frozen in freezer…

Customer Question
My whirlpool gold refrigerator...

My whirlpool gold refrigerator freezer is frozen in freezer part and cold on bottom of fridge but top of fridge is warm

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

7yrs old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what is wrong with it

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 7 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Check and make sure the fan is working in the freezer section, if it is not working the refrigerator section will not cool properly. If it is working then you need to remove the rear panel in the freezer section. If the evaporator is built up with excessive frost you need to defrost the frost build up with a hairdryer or steamer. Then you need to check the heater for continuity and the defrost thermostat for continuity as well, that is clipped to the evaporator. It has to be cold to test it and it should read continuity with an ohm meter as well when cold. If all that tests good you likely have a bad defrost control.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. BONUSES are always appreciated...Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions & Happy Holidays!

The fan is working and there is a lot of frost on the evaporator thawing out

Yes you have a defrost issue then, defrost it now and it will work...but you may have a defrost heater issue.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

Hi there,