Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Upright freezer in garage making a very very loud noise.

Customer Question
upright freezer in garage...

upright freezer in garage making a very very loud noise

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just started while I was out ...it wasn't doing it when I left which was about 2 hours ago

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We turned it off ...should we unplug it?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/25/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 4 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

IS it from the fan inside of the unit?

could be
it was still set at highest temp and we are in cold weather.

You may want to remove the back panel inside the unit and check and see if the fan blade on the motor is hitting ice or something. The fan blade is just pressed on the motor shaft so sometimes they walk off the shaft and can hit something. Check that and see. If it is all iced up defrost it.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. BONUSES are always appreciated...Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions & Happy Holidays!

Not something I can do and my husband is disabled. Sorry but I don't feel I can give you a 5 rating
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

There is probably ice built up around the evaporator fan blade. Unplug it and open the door for 24 hours to allow it to thaw and it should restore quiet operation. Of course, if the garage is not heated, it will not thaw on its own.

Kelly, Appliance Technician