Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

New roper gas dryer is dead have trouble shot fuses and

Customer Question
New roper gas dryer...

New roper gas dryer is dead have trouble shot fuses and switches like door timer fuse need new list of possible problems and trouble proceedures

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Roper modle rgd 4640yqo

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Bought new worked a few times then dead nothing when start button is pushed

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Probably 6 years old now but never used

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/25/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

If you set the time to any cycle and have the door closed does the timer advance?

no

Have you tested the terminal block where the cord attaches to the dryer for the proper voltage?

Because the time should be advancing if you have the proper voltage to the dryer ,the timer set on any cycle and the door closed/

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

I have multi meter tester but not good with it did continuity on thermal fuse and switches seems to be juice to all wires regardless of switch position but all components are dead every wire in back of machine shows power when plugged in timer on or off
when testing thermal fuse I felt a tingle with the machine plugged in continuity good when unplugged

does your model have an interior drum light? and if it does will the light go on if you have the door open ?

And yes you will have some wires that will have voltage , when the timer is off.

And the thermal fuse will only stop the burner form coming on it will not stops the drive motor from running on this model .

no light

ok the light is not working or your model does not have a light?

I as due to the wire diagram says (some models)

sorry there is no light on the machine

do you have the console open at this time?

I have the back open the timer and switch are exposed

ok on the timer lets test the Light blue wire on the contact labeled B to chassis ground looking for 120 volts A/C

negative I get no reading just to be sure of the setting I I double checked on the plug and got 122.3 but zero on light blue wire marked B
tested on V~ 200
hold on one moment

ok now test the Black wire on the connector C also looking for 120 volts A/C

ha turned timer on reads 120.6 my bad

ok the 120.6 is that one the B or the C connector?

light blue B I will double check it

ok ,and if your getting 120 .6 on the B connector if the door is closed and you press the start button the motor should start.

actually A B C All = 122.2 H =120.3
all 4 wires = 120 plus
all 3 wires in the other plug =120 or better

ok if you have the timer in a timed setting you should only have voltage on C , B , and A to chassis ground no voltage on H to ground

I will re check

ok

confirmed multi meter set on V~ 200 all 7 wires coming from timer block when set on timed dry high heat 40 give reading of 120 to 121 volts
grounded on green chassis ground screw

ok so lets go to the push to start and test the white wire it may also be a white with red tracer to chassis ground for 120 volts

white wire to start switch and chassis ground = 120 +

and when you press the start button the not will not start correct? And the dryer door is closed?

every connection on every wire that I can access on the back of the machine = 120 +
pretty much thermal fuses and sensors switch and timer all wires live and 120 V
hmmm

nothing happens when start button is pushed door open or closed there is juice everywhere but the machine acts as though it where unplugged always no noise no clicks no vibration under any and all circumstances. whith out testers you would think its unplugged but testers say juice is everywhere

ok let`s unplug the unit and remove the wires off of the push to start switch and ohm out the switch and press the push to start switch and tell me what you get?

I turned off the gas some time ago just for safety

Yea not worried about the gas right now just trying to get the drive motor to come on .

OK again Im Not good with the multi meter but I unplugged the machine unhooked the wires to the start switch and did continuity its positive then I switched to ohms 200 pressed start and got a reading of 00.2 is this what you were looking for

ok IF you have 120 volts on the white wire on the start switch and you press the start switch the dryer should start .

I suspect the issue is either your meter or the way you are using it .

I suggest you can in an expert to have them look at the unit!

well there is juice on the whit and black wire whether the switch is pressed or not. but as you say I may be doing something wrong thank you for your help

Best of luck to you .

Have a nice rest of the week end .

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?
If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

Master Tech
Master Tech