Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Maytag refrigerator - freezer working, refrigerator is not.

Maytag refrigerator - freezer working...
Maytag refrigerator - freezer working, refrigerator is not
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model mff2558vemo
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have a refrigerator full of thanksgiving leftovers I don't want to lose
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't even know where to start
11/25/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

That is likely a defrost issue you need to remove the rear panel in the freezer section. If the evaporator is built up with excessive frost you need to defrost the frost build up with a hairdryer or steamer. Then you need to check the heater for continuity and the defrost thermostat for continuity as well, that is clipped to the evaporator. It has to be cold to test it and it should read continuity with an ohm meter as well when cold. If all that tests good you likely have a bad defrost control.

You can force it into defrost mode by doing this OK if the evaporator is all frosted up put the unit into defrost mode, open the refrigerator doors, Hold the light switches down and press the Refrigerator TEMP DOWN button 3 times then release the light switch and you should see F and D in the displays. If you do press the refrigerator TEMP DOWN button 2 more times and it should be in defrost mode. See if the heater starts to heat after a minute or so. If you are not sure put some ice on the calrod heater to see if it melts or sizzles. If it does you have a bad main control board and need to change it out. If it does not heater either the heater is bad, the defrost thermostat that is clipped to the top right corner of the evaporator is burned out(Open Circuit) or possibly a modular connector to the heater is corroded. Check all those things with your meter to determine which is bad if the heater does not come on when in forced defrost mode.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. BONUSES are always appreciated...Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions & Happy Thanksgiving!

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician