Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Whirlpool side by side fridge freezer model ED2FHGXKT04.

Customer Question
Freezer is cold, fridge is...
Whirlpool side by side fridge freezer model ED2FHGXKT04. Freezer is cold, fridge is not. Defroster coil seems to be working (i accidentally touched it and it was hot), evap fan is running, The air diffuser assembly lets air through, but it doesn't feel like a lot. Compressor has been running all day since I tore stuff apart...
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/24/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

You found no frost on the evaporator when you had the cover off?

There was some frost on the evap coils, but it was actually in the defrost cycle. I accidentally touched the heating element - luckily didn't burn myself - but an IR thermometer showed around 200F.
  1. Was the frost primarily at the top of the coil or where?
  2. Any change in air flow when it was thawed?
Top. Currently it's running and I see frost on the bottom through the vent. Secondary observation this morning was that there was frost on the vent on the fridge side. Fridge was very full.
No clear difference in airflow observed - barely any airflow while the covers were off of cause, and I left them off to observe the evap fan for a bit

Is the return air opening at the bottom of the coil to the right clear?

Freezer was full too. Interesting observation - ice was not very good the last few days. It looked like it melted. Yes, the return air opening is now clear. It wasn't blocked either.
Back wall of fridge is now at 32F, and I realize a IR thermometer isn't the best but temperature inside the fridge comes back at mid 40s.
Freezer is empty, and is very cold.

Hmm, seems odd that all air paths are clear and fan is running but refrigerator is not cooling well. What is the control on the left set on right now?

Middle - B , and fridge is 5. have a temp probe in the fridge right now. hasn't acclimatized yet...
current temp is 44F.
has at least been 3 - 4 h since i put things back together. Thermostat?

If you turn the left dial all the way to the left, does the air flow increase at the diffuser in the refrigerator?

Feels like it. and when i had the freezer duct side open, i did feel that the window became bigger on 'warmer' freezer setting. the rod was also moving.
Bottom coils werent extremely bad, fan ran. compressor was hotter than safe to touch.

Correct, the lower that dial is set, the more air that is allowed to enter the refrigerator. I suspect that dial was just up too high. I suspect it will be fine set at the lowest setting now. I would clean the condenser coil, make sure the fan down by the compressor is running and set that left dial on the lowest setting and you should be good to go!

k. what's the normal/safe fridge side temp range?

Factory setting is 38* F, but I like it a bit colder, about 34-36* F.

K. thank you. i'll keep an eye on it.

You are very welcome, thank you!

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!