Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Spark on gas burner will not shut off .... keeps sparking…

Customer Question
Spark on gas burner...

Spark on gas burner will not shut off .... keeps sparking ... how do I stop it?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

10 minutes ... shut gas off but spark on one burner keeps sparking ...

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No ... just want to know how to stop it from sparking

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/23/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 7 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Hello, if the burner ignitors are clicking when you power it on that means that one of the burner switches is stuck in the closed position. On each burner shaft under the knobs there is a rotary switch that when you turn the burner knob the switch gets turned and closes sending 120 volts to the spark module. When the module is activated ALL BURNERS spark so that is normal by design. Now what happens over time grease and food get under the knobs and into the switches causing one to stay closed as if you have that burner turned to the on position. Then when you plug it in everything starts clicking. You would have to take the cooktop apart to get to those switches. On that unit it is a job to do as you have to separate the top from the base to get at them and change out the bad one. You may want a tech to come out and do it depending on you skill level, but it is totally worth fixing. The switches range from $40-100 depending on if your model is sold as a set or individually. You would just have to shut the power off to the unit otherwise to get it to stop clicking.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. BONUSES are always appreciated...Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions & Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!