Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a kitchen aid oven. I used the self cleaning option…

Customer Question
I have a kitchen...

I have a kitchen aid oven. I used the self cleaning option last night.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The oven clean cycle finished last night. It now say "door locked" which is not true. When I try to start the oven, it says "oven too hot" The model is old - about 15 year old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I was just about to put the turkey in the oven

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/23/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

If the oven door is locked and will not open and the oven is cold try the following things to get the door to open. Note the oven needs to be cold or the thermostat will not open it after a self clean cycle right away.

First try to start a new self clean for about 30 secs and cancel it, often that will trigger the door latch to restart and reopen. If that does not open the door you can cut power to the unit for a full minute and power it back up and see if the door will open. If that does not work on some units you can remove the back and the latch motor is there with a lock rod going to a small hook iby the door. Those style units you can remove the rod and move it manually to open the door. If you do not have that style unit you need to get something flexible like a stiff piece of plastic or metal and slide it in between the door and frame and slide it sideways to hit the latch hook and press it to the left or right and open the door that way manually. Most latch hooks you will slide the piece from right to left pressing the latch hook left to release it...90% are like that, the others are the opposite way depending on make and model.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. BONUSES are always appreciated...Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions & Happy Thanksgiving!

The oven door opens just fine. It is just the panel up top that says "door locked"

DO you have the model number off the unit as you will need to get to the doo latch to fix this.

I can not see your recent response. By the way, the model is called superb

I need the model number off the tag on the frame when you open the door or drawer.

I don't know the model number. You can't read it on the tag. It's worn off

Ok open the door and do you see the latch hook there on the frame, if so get a flashlight and look in behind the hook do you see switches or just a rod that connects the hook and goes back behind the oven?

I can't see switches. I also can't see where the rod leads to. It's all covered up. The door latch, like a hook, is sticking out and it won't go back in when I press it in
Did you receive my last response

OK great this is an easier one, pull the unit out and remove the back panel you will see that rod connect to the cam on the door latch assembly behind the unit. The switch on the door latch is the issue. So once you are there you will see two wires to the switch do you see them?

I can't pull the oven out. It's firmly positioned in between cabinets in my kitchen

You will have to pull it out to fix this issue, otherwise no oven today then:(

The oven is hooked on to the back of our wall. I simply cannot pull it out

I am not sure what else we can do at this point, I am sorry there is no other way to fix this.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician