Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a GE Profile Gas range/oven and it keeps locking the…

Customer Question
We have a GE...

We have a GE Profile Gas range/oven and it keeps locking the door like it wants to go into self clean mode. We unplugged it for about 20 minutes and it did not reset/still had time display when we plugged it back in.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is around 10 years old-

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Model #PGB918DEM1BB s/n MM246964P

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I may attempt the repair myself- I have an automotive background and have performed various appliance repairs in the past

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/23/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your microwave . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

It's not a microwave- it is a gas range/oven-

Ok. Thanks.

If the oven door is locked or keeps locking and will not open and the oven is cold try the following things to get the door to open. Note the oven needs to be cold or the thermostat will not open it after a self clean cycle right away. Often a part on the latch circuit can fail due to the high temps in self clean so you may need a part to fix this but try these things first.

First try to start a new self clean for about 30 secs and cancel it, often that will trigger the door latch to restart and reopen. If that does not open the door you can cut power to the unit for a full minute and power it back up and see if the door will open. If that does not work on some units you can remove the back and the latch motor is there with a lock rod going to a small hook by the door. Those style units you can remove the rod and move it manually to open the door. If you do not have that style unit you need to get something flexible like a stiff piece of plastic or metal and slide it in between the door and frame and slide it sideways to hit the latch hook and press it to the left or right and open the door that way manually. Most latch hooks you will slide the piece from right to left pressing the latch hook left to release it.

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.

You may need to pull the range out, unplug it, remove the back panel and look for the lock mechanism at the back. It is about level with the door lock, but is in the back of the range. It has a long rod that goes from the front of the oven to the back. The mechanism sometimes gets stuck. You can sometimes advance it by turning the motor on it. Try moving the motor cam 90 degrees and then plug the range back in to see if it resets. If not, try another 90 degrees. If this does not work, inspect the switches to make sure the "click" when you press the button. Most lock issues are resolved in this manner. IF this does not work, replace the lock mechanism

This happened last night and we had to run a self clean- This morning we used the oven and a few hours later the door locked again- just had it without power for 30 minutes and when plugged back in has display on clock and door still locked- starting clean and will abort in a minute- Clean cancelled but door still locked.

Is the oven still warm?

Just from the 2 minutes the clean cycle ran-

Ok, I will opt out of this question. Perhaps another expert can better assist you. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert picks up your question.

Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 5 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

I am a different tech can you get to the latch assembly and switches on the latch? One of the switches is stuck closed on the latch and often you can get it freed up and then it will find the home position and work fine again....CLICK HERE IMAGE

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. BONUSES are always appreciated...Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions & Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician