Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a ge xl44 stove. i opened the stove top to clean

Customer Question
I have a ge...

I have a ge xl44 stove. i opened the stove top to clean underneath and i cannot get it to close and go back the way it was.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is about 15 years old. I do not know the exact model.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It pulls up like the hood of a car, but I can't get it to go back in the groove.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, I just need to know how to get it to go back flush to the burners.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/23/2017
Appliance Technician: ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided, so I can give you an accurate answer.
Thanks

May I ask that you provide me the correct model and serial number off the label on your machine? It usually is down by the drawer

Thanks

Don

MODEL # JGBP26WEV4WW
SERIAL# *****

This is a gas range correct?

The top lifts up and is supported by a rod on each side. If you lift it too high you can get the top off the hinge pins located in the back corners. You also have to be sure the rods are slipping down into the side properly. Also look to see if there are any locating pins on the top side that could be keeping to top up.

Check these things and let me know

Don

click here for a picture

notice the parts #116 & #112

116 slips into 112