Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have GE profile electricrange, model JS968, and the oven…

Customer Question
I have GE profile...

I have GE profile electricrange, model JS968, and the oven door won't close. The latch at the top of the oven doesn't seem to be working. Help

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Purchased 9/15/2007, serial RM269938Q, model JS968SK455

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if we can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My husband just got home and unlocked hinges and removed door. Put door back in. Oven door still won't close all the way.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/22/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

You will need to pull the range out, unplug it, remove the back panel and look for the lock mechanism at the back. It is about level with the door lock, but is in the back of the range. It has a long rod that goes from the front of the oven to the back. The mechanism sometimes gets stuck. You can sometimes advance it by turning the motor on it. Try moving the motor cam 90 degrees and then plug the range back in to see if it resets. If not, try another 90 degrees. If this does not work, inspect the switches to make sure the "click" when you press the button. Most lock issues are resolved in this manner. IF this does not work, replace the lock mechanism. The part number for the lock mechanism is: WB14T10018

You can get it on Amazon here: http://a.co/eq7SG3m

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.

Please note that some lock mechanisms are only accessible by pulling the top up. Your top lifts up by removing the screws in the front bottom of the top and gently lifting it up. You can support it with a cardboard box or something soft while examining the door lock.

The back of the range has a convection fan cover. Does that mean that the lock mechanism is in the front under the glass top or do I proceed to take off the convection fan cover on back of stove?
Can you please just answer my question. Thanks.

One moment please I need to get back in front of the regular computer. I had to leave the desk.

Yes it appears that on your model it is under the glass top.

The only visible screws are underneath the knob control panel. Are those the screws to be removed?
There are no screws holding the glass top.

The ones on front, under the top, just over the oven.

Removed the screws, top doesn't lift off.

One moment

Ok, since I cant be there to actually see which screws you took off, I am unable to help any further. I will opt out to see if another expert can help.,

Nothing you suggested is working. We are requesting a refund. We will contact a local service rep to fix our door. Thank you. Please confirm refund ASAP.