Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My kitchen aid ice dispenser leaves a pile of melted

Customer Question
My kitchen aid ice...

My kitchen aid ice dispenser leaves a pile of melted together ice cubes

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 10 years model number KB

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

RS20ETSS01

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It will start making ice normally but then it seems to melt into a pile under the shut off arm

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Noe you say it is a Kitchen -Aid unit ,BUT the model number you have given is for a Roper Refrigerator .

Is this the correct model number?

And you also have said the ice dispenser but reading your post is sounds like your issue is the ice maker not an ice dispenser in the door !

Can you clarify for me?

Sorry ,yes it's the ice maker the model number is ***** is on the inside of the fridge unless they are o's instead of 0,s

ok and would you say the cubes look like they are melting (as the got warm ) or the the icemaker may be over filling and water is just freezing the cube together?

How am I suppose to determine wether the ice is melting or the the maker is over filling

That is easy just look to see if the fully cubes are stuck together or if they are smaller and out of shape as if they had melted!

Fully formed but stuck together like they melted

ok The only way the cubes can get warm enough to start to melt is if the unit has stopped cooling and begins to get warm inside.

How much food do you have in the freezer area at this time?

And do ALL doors seem to be closing and sealing properly?

Put a black tray under the ice maker and can now see that the ice maker is dripping water underneath

ok so if the icemaker is over filling you have a water inlet valve issue.

This would mean that you still have full sized ice cubes and excess water is dripping on to this tray.

I just want to make sure that the cubes are full size and the water is not missing the ice maker cavities and dripping on the pan , that would be a different issue.

My husband says he thinks the cubes are smaller

ok so on the rear of the ice maker on the top of the ice maker is the fill tube , look at the fill tube and the square fill cup on the back of the icemaker to see if you see any ice ?