Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We have a model PFS22MBSBWW side by side upper and bottom

drawer freezer. It will on...
We have a model PFS22MBSBWW side by side upper and bottom drawer freezer. It will on cool to 60 degrees in both the freezer and fridge. I unplugged it for for a few days to see if the issue went away or it was frozen. When it was started back up again it cooled to 0 in the freezer and 36 in the fridge. Now two days later it is back to 60 degrees in both sides.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: General Electric Model: PFS22MBSBWW
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: less than five years old
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If I can do it my self I would. Depends on the issue.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
travis webb

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. So it froze up again?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
It will only cool to 60 degrees.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
It was unplugged for a few days. Did this because I thought something may have been frozen.
After I plugged it back in, it appeared to cool down to normal temperature...thought it was fixed. Two days later I checked it again and the temperature was back to 58 degree in the fridge and freezer.

yeah it sounds like the evaporator coils have frozen over. So more then likely your heater or the thermostat has went bad and is going to need to be replaced. Do you happen to have a multimeter?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I do.

first we need to test this part and there is a video on how to do this on the link

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/WR50X10042/1092766?modelNumber=PFS22MBSBWW​

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Where is the heater located at on this model? Or where are the leads to test the continuity?

you will need to remove the back wall on the inside of the freezer. going in through the freezer itself.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Heater ohms out okay

ok one moment while I grab the next part in that area for you. Is there ice built up on the coils?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No it has been thawed out and is at room temperature. I thought it was the frozen coils so I tried that first a few days ago.

right and since you thawed it out I figured it must have frozen back up causing the temp to rise again.

i​f there is no ice did you happen to hear the fan running in the freezer before you got in there?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
How do you test the thermostat? Ohm it out? Not sure if the fan was running.

y​es you will check to see if it has continuity.

after testing that we will close the freezer door to see if you can hear the fan running. You can keep the panel off while doing this.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Plugged it back in and the fan works. Do you think it could be stuck in defrost mode or reverting back when it gets to temp.

no I don't think that is the issue.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Is the thermostat in the control housing?

its right there around the coils like the heater was.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I'm not finding anything like the part you sent.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Looks to me like the thermostat is built into the control panel circuit board.

No it is around the evaporator coils.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
That one was hidden well. Checks out okay.

ok ​go ahead and put the panel back. We are going to need to plug the unit back in and we will need to make sure the compressor is running as well as the fan next to it.

if​ they are both running we will need to check the thermistor as the last part.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermistor/WR55X10025/914093?modelNumber=PFS22MBSBWW​

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Compressor and fan work. How do you test the next part. Also which one?

i sent the link above do you see it?

just in case it did not come through here the link again it is actually after midnight. If this part does not turn out to be the issue then all that is left is the main control board is failing and needs to be replaced. If you have any further questions I will be more then happy to assist you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

travis webb
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I will test the one on the coil since it sounds like the that fails more often. Thanks for the help. Hope it is not the main control board.
travis webb
travis webb
travis webb