Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Over the last couple weeks there has been icy water on the…

Over the last couple...

Over the last couple weeks there has been icy water on the top shelf or top two shelves of my refrigerator. I have a two-door with a top freezer, Whirlpool Model GR9SHKXKQ02. The freezer compartment itself is dry, but it seems as though the water is leaking from the freezer because it is ice cold.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I believe it is 15 years old. The model number I put in my earlier message is the one that appears on the warranty. I don’t know if any other.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I suppose I could try if it doesn’t require a technician. If a service person is necessary, I’d appreciate a referral in Seattle.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I believe that’s all.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

This is a common problem. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

In the freezer, behind the rear panel (number 16 at the link below) is the defrost drain. That drain is plugged and frozen over, diverting the water into the refrigerator.

CLICK HERE

The drain is most easily thawed and cleared by opening the doors and leaving it unplugged for 24 hours. If that is not possible, the number 49 floor will need to be removed, followed by the number 16 rear panel. Use only hot water to thaw the drain, nothing sharp! Once it has thawed and the drain is clear, the water from the defrost cycle will flow to the pan below the cabinet for evaporation.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician