Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a maytag mdb600awb dishwasher. When pressing start it…

Customer Question
I have a maytag...

I have a maytag mdb600awb dishwasher. When pressing start it lights up as usual, fills with water, and you can hear some noises (likely heating element) then all lights on the display go off. I replaced the door latch and striker, still have the same issue. Found a "field test" diagnostic and ran it. After a couple of minutes it appears to be hung up with the "normal wash and clean" lights blinking at the same time. Help!!!

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Between 18 and 22 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The door latch was broken for awhile. used duct tape to hold it in place. Continued to work for a few years. Recently it started not completing a wash cycle. Dishes would still come clean, but it was only running about a half cycle.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/21/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The dishwasher shutting off means that the control board is overloading. Now this could be do to the board being bad, or it could be do to the pump drawing too much power. You'll need to flip the breaker off to the dishwasher and remove the kick panel below the door. Then unplug the wire harness going to the motor and re-apply power at the breaker. Run a cycle and if the dishwasher runs but it just doesn't spray water and such, the motor needs to be replaced. If it still shuts off even without the motor connected, the control board inside the door would need to be replaced. The fact that the normal and clean lights are blinking leads me to believe it's a board issue but you can flip the breaker off and see if that resets. If you need a new board, it's part number 99003160 and it costs about $100.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?