Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have the K A oven and microwave comb. The oven door locked

Customer Question
I have the K A...
I have the K A oven and microwave comb. The oven door locked when I cleaned it. Then it wouldn't unlock. I have had this problem before. I have learned to stick a knife it to release the lock. However, I'm thinking this is probably a real big problem. We've used the oven for about 10 years and it was used slightly before that. I'm cooking a turkey. Hopefully, I can release it with a knife for Thanksgiving. Probably I need a whole inside or a new oven but it's going to have to wait until after Thanksgiving. What is your thinking? Debbie Benedict
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Kitchen Aid - oven and microwave - Probably 12 years old. We've used it for 10 years. Where's model #? on side?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Just wondering if the hook can be replaced or do I probably need a whole new set-up?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Has the hook been a problem before? Do I need to get the model number? About 12 years old maybe.
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Appliance
11/21/2017
Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 24 days ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

If the door isnt releasing and you need to use a knife to open it then its going to be the door lock itself sticking which is causing this fault.

Now this can be replaced as what you need to do is pull the oven out and remove the top panel.

From there you will see the locking unit there.

You need to swap this over from there and this should stop it from happening again from there.

The model number is ***** on the sticker on the inside of the door frame or it will be on the back as as you will need to model number to order the part.

But from the fault you describe this is going to be the door lock at fault causing this.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician