Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a maytag stove, and the right two burners only work…

Customer Question
I have a maytag...

I have a maytag stove, and the right two burners only work with match because they get no spark. We have had this problem ever since we bought the house six years ago. MODEL MGR5752BDW SERIAL 17939600PC

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Purchase March 2009.Modelname Magic

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Everything is clean, and the igniter wire looks good.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

When you turn the right two burners on, do you hear them click like they are trying to light? Or is it silent except for the sound of gas flowing out the burner?

OK

The other two burners are sparking, and that's what I hear.
There is no spark on the right side two
When I turn the right two burners on the left side burners spark.
I cannot hear the gas flow, but I know it's there because I can
light those right burners with a match.

OK perfect. Clean the spark tips with emery cloth or fine sand paper and make them shine again in case they are corroded enough to stop the spark from jumping. Other than that, check the ceramic and make sure it's not cracked. If all that checks good, either the spark module has failed and needs to be replaced, or the spark is jumping out of the wire to the frame of the oven before it gets to the burner. You can wrap the wire in electrical tape to re-insulate it and try again, if it still acts up--replace the spark module. Below is a link to the spark module on the back of the oven if you need it.

CLICK HERE for spark module

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I will try your suggestions and then rate.
I don't see where to rate the service

There should be stars at the top or bottom of the screen you select to rate me.

I sanded the spark tips, checked out the ceramic and it is not cracked.
The wire is pristine, as much of it as I can see. So you are as saying
it is the spark module in the back of the stove. But if the eft two
burners are sparking and working, doesn't that say the spark module is working?

It doesn't. Each connect is independent on the module for each burner so one burner can work and 3 others may not work, or maybe 3 work and 1 doesn't. Either way, I'd take one of the wires and wrap it in electrical tap and re-connect it to make sure it has extra insulation before ordering the part. Doesn't matter if the wire looks good or not.

I can only see a little bit of the wrapped wire through the burner hole.
How do I get at that whole wire?
If the spark were escaping in the part of the wire I see, wouldn't I see it?

no, you wouldn't see it. And you have to remove the entire cooktop meaning you must unscrew each burner base and remove the entire top to access the wire which runs below the cooktop and down the back to the spark module.

Thank you. On this model, the cooktop doesn't just tilt up.
I see two screws under the knob bank. Is that how to remove
the cooktop and expose the wires?

You have to also remove all the screws through the burners as mentioned before. Every burner must be unscrewed. Then you slide a putty knife in the screen between the cooktop and the front panel and push back on the 2 metal spring clips about 4 inches from each side. That releases the front so the top panel will then hinge up and backwards.

I am pursuing your advice. Thank you. I will do the rating at the end of this road.
Ok... good luck

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?