Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I just bought a Maytag side by side refrigerator at an

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a Maytag side by side refrigerator at an estate sale and the whole inside including the freezer smell like stale cigarettes Even the ice and water smell The outside was coated in nicotine when I got it I've cleaned that off but I can't get rid of the smell

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The model # is MSD2351HEO 23 cu ft

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes If I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't know

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/21/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 8 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you! Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

It will be very hard to get rid of the smell as it gets embedded in the plastic. What you can do is crumple up large balls of newspaper and tuck them all inside the freezer all over as many as you can fit and leave it run for days or a week with them in there and then throw them out. That will take about as much of the smell out as you will get, then just place the baking soda boxes in it and as long as you have washed it down really good it should smell a lot better.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.