Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE profile refrigerator model number PSH25PGWC

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE profile refrigerator model number PSH25PGWC wv.It has stopped dispensing water and there is a grinding or groaning sound inside. How can I fix this?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It has stopped dispensing water and there is a grinding or groaning sound inside. How can I fix this?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The side-by-side refrigerator is approximately eight or nine years old. The model number is ***** PGwc wv

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just tell me how to fix it! Thanks. Hello?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Is the noise continuous or only when you try to dispense water?

I am awaiting your answer. Jenny
Only hear the grinding noise when I tried to dispense water.

Are you able to perform any disassembly to help diagnose this issue?

Perhaps, depends on how complicated. Send answer and I will try or get help.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

If the icemaker is working, you likely have a frozen water line in the freezer door. You can verify this by removing the kickplate from the front of the refrigerator and locating the water line fitting at the bottom of the freezer door. It will have a water line in each side of the fitting. Hold the plastic “washer” at the end of the connector in while pulling the water line out. Once you have the line open there, try to dispense water again and see if any comes out of the open line. The water will not come out until you activate the dispenser. If you have water there, the line is frozen in the freezer door. This has been a common issue for these refrigerators but is easily remedied. You can use a hair dryer to thaw the line out by heating the back of the dispenser housing from the outside of the refrigerator. Direct the heat to the area behind the dispenser paddle. Be careful so you do not allow it to get hot enough to damage the plastic. Once thawed, you will have restored water flow and normal dispenser operation.