Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I purchased a gas range in Feb. of 2016. I had surgery right…

I purchased a gas...

I purchased a gas range in Feb. of 2016. I had surgery right after we purchased it, so when my husband hooked it up he didn't check the broiler. I had not needed it until a few months back and it wouldn't work. You can hear it clicking like its trying to fire but it want. What do you think the problem is?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A few months.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I hope we can. The dealer we bought it from is a little over a hour away and by the time I found this out the warranty is out.

11/20/2017
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

It is KFGG500ESSO

Thank you!

when you select Broil and start the oven do you hear the igniter even sparking to try and light the broiler flame?

Can you give my husband about 15 mins.?

sure!

Just reply back when your ready !

you can hear it clicking
Sometimes you can also smell the gas.

ok with the oven door and the unit set for broil . look thru the front door window and tell me if the igniter is sparking right on the burner itself or is if sparking elsewhere.

We can hear it but can't see it.

ok it should be sparking right at the tip of the igniter to the burner body.

If it is not doing that you may have a bad wire going to the igniter that is pinched or cut allowing the spark signal to spark elsewhere and of course that is why it is not lighting the broil burner.

Can you pull the range out away from the wall and remove the large lower and smaller upper panel .

And then try to darken the room as much as possible and then turn the broil on and watch to see if you can see it sparking on the back side of the range.

The spark module is mounted on the console are in the top right corner looking at the range from the rear with both inspection covers off .

And the igniter wire travels from there down to the back of the oven cavity.

We pulled it out and took the back off. The igniter had not been hooked up. I don't know if this should have been done at the factory or if we should have done it when we put it in. Thank you so much for your help. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving and a very very Merry Christmas. Thanks.

it should have been done at the factory.

if you have now hooked it up lets turn the broil on and see if it now will light the broil burner

It does.

Great good job !!

Glad to assist you anytime.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.

Master Tech
Got it

Thank you .Glad to assist you anytime.

Master Tech
Master Tech