Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool refrigerator with a ice maker and water…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a whirlpool refrigerator with a ice maker and water dispenser. the water dispenser and light work bit the ice dispenser will not dispense ice

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is 9 years old, model # ED2LHEXTDOO

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When I push the dispenser, it just does a soft clicking noise

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you! Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

OK a couple things may have happened, first check and make sure the switch is working for the dispenser if you are hearing the clicking noise from the switch it should be working. If it is then you need to check the auger motor for power. Do you have a volt meter?

OK are you sure the switch for the auger is working? If you are sure then remove the bin inside the unit and remove the rear panel to get to the auger motor and when you are to the motor there are two wires to it. Press the light switch in and having someone press the dispenser for ice see if you have 120 volts to it.

I'm not completely sure the dispenser switch is working, but the light is working

OK on the bottom ede of the dispenser trim there are two slits, using a screw driver or flat object pry the trim off from the bottom slits and it will pop off and lift up and off. Unplug the front trim and then remove the white bracket that holds the 2 microswitches in place...see if one of the posts that mount the microswitch for the dispenser is broken off. Then when you press the dispenser in it will actually not hit the switch right. That is a very common issue. Let me know what you find.

are the microswitchs black?

Yes

Ok, yes the front white bracket is broke off, and the two thin white posts that go through the microswich are broke off as well. if I push the button on the microswitch, ice will come put
out

Yes that is super common here is a link to the part you need....CLICK HERE All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician