Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Kenmore washer door won't unlock. It has water in it that…

Customer Question
My Kenmore washer door...

My Kenmore washer door won't unlock. It has water in it that needs to drain but I can't seem to get it to drain.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I'm not sure of the model number, but it is between 5 and 10 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I originally started to wash a bathroom rug, that is supposed to be machine washable. At some point it stopped and had a 0E message. I looked in the manual and it suggested that the drain filter might be clogged. I pulled the filter out and cleaned some cat litter from it. That let me open the door, so I did so and removed the rug. But the washer was still full of water. I

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/20/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

Sears Kenmore does not manufacture their own appliances they have several different companies that manufacture for them .

And each manufactures machines are different , I need the model number to#1 look any information up .

And #2 to find out whom manufactured the unit for sears.

If the door is locked ,by chance do you have the use and care booklet the model number may be on the booklet.

I can't find it...I've been using the manual online for Kenmore Elite front-loading washer...I'm looking for that now

does your model have a lower front panel just below the panel that the door is on.

I can not call you until I have a model number to be able to assist you!

that's where the drain filter is located, which I have already cleaned

ok so your unit was manufactured by Whirlpool for sears .

with the lower front panel off if you reach up on the right hand side of the door you can manually unlock the door then the model /serial number tag is on the inner face frame of the washer

And also are you saying that you have removed and cleaned the button /filter and that you still have water in the washer tub?

okay, just a moment

ok no problem!

I just went to open that panel again and couldn't seen how I could unlock anything from there...however the washer door is unlocked now anyway...but the washer still has water in it. Prior to calling I had been trying to drain the washer using the instruction that were in the manual.

ok Can you give me the model number of the washer now that the door is unlocked .

And to manually unlock the door you had to reach up inside the washer on the right hand side of the door and pull down on the manual latch release lever.

No, I didn't reach up inside the washer...That panel I opened is only about 4 by 7 inches. It has a drain hose and the drain filter in it...The Model number is *****

ok so then your unit was NOT manufactured by whirlpool it was manufactured by LG fro sears.

When the unit should be draining can you say that you did in fact hear the drain pump running or not?

I hear something...not sure if it's the drain pump....Question: since I've been attempting to drain it with no load in it, should I put a load in it anyway, since it has load sensors?

no if it i not draining with out clothes it will also not drain with clothes in it

The load sensor just senses if the load is out of balance during a spin mode.

It does not sense if you have clothes in it or not!

I asked this earlier and you never replied back with an answer ((And also are you saying that you have removed and cleaned the button /filter and that you still have water in the washer tub?)

The manual said that in order to drain I should turn it on and press spin but with no cleaning mode selected.

ok you may not understand my question .if you just removed the filter all of the water should have then drained out of the washer.

I`m asking after you removed the filter did you STILL have water inside the washer.

I said that...I removed and cleaned the filter and put it back in. Water did drain during that process. However the washer still has much water in it.

ok ok if you removed the filter you should have NO water left in the washer ,if you did you have something blocking the water flow to the drain pump / filter.

You will need to remove the washer top and then the front panel to see what is in the drain line from the tub to the pump .

that is why the washer is not draining is due to one of the hoses being blocked /restricted with something , possibly a sock or small article of clothing .

Okay...I'll see if I can do that

no problem ! just let me know if you find anything or have any questions.