Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool gold series refrigerator does not seem to be…

My whirlpool gold series...

My whirlpool gold series refrigerator does not seem to be working. Model GX5SHTXVN00. S/N KW4504316

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

GC5SHTXVB00 came with the house. I’ve lived here 3-4 yrs

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not unless it’s a very easy fix

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I’m expecting a house full of guests this Wednesday

11/19/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you! Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

Okay, pull the unit out so you can get behind it. Remove the back lower panel to access the compressor area and condenser fan. Check and see if the fan is running and also see if the compressor is vibrating or not, plus see if the compressor is hot ,cold or warm to the touch. please post back to me with what you have found. Also note anything you have changed out part wise or have done and not mentioned in your original post. I am helping other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.

Fan is running. Compressor is not humming and is warm to hot. Last night I took out the freezer drawer and cleaned it out and emptied the ice.
Every once in a while I hear a clicking noise from where I took off the lower panel

Well that is a really common issue, the most likely cause is just a failed start device on the compressor. Pull the unit out and unplug it. Remove the back lower panel to get to the compressor. On the left side of the compressor you will see the start device and a retainer clip. Remove the clip and then slide the device off the compressor pins. Once it is off unplug it. If you shake it and it sounds like sand is in it it is totally burned out or if the fan is running and the compressor is not replace it. Replace it with the part at this link and everything should run fine again. If it does not start the compressor after that the compressor is bad and will need to be changed out.

CLICK HERE PART TO ORDER

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

If the compressor feels hot does it likely need to be replaced?

No typically it is just that relay not a bad compressor.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician