Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a whirlpool gold refrigerator not sure of model but…

Customer Question
We have a whirlpool...

We have a whirlpool gold refrigerator not sure of model but we are tenants. The refrigerator seems very warm but freezer is working

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Owners told us 5 years. Refrigerator on top and freezer on bottom. Looks pretty basic to me

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it’s easy then I can have my husband but if not we will need help

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don’t think so. I moved the temp up to 7 on the frig to see if it would help

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/19/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 8 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you! Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

That is likely a defrost issue you need to remove the rear panel in the freezer section. If the evaporator is built up with excessive frost you need to defrost the frost build up with a hairdryer or steamer. Then you need to check the heater for continuity and the defrost thermostat for continuity as well, that is clipped to the evaporator. It has to be cold to test it and it should read continuity with an ohm meter as well when cold. If all that tests good you likely have a bad defrost control. If you can just get it all defrosted the refrigerator will work again for about 1 week and maybe you can get your landlord to get a tech out.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

Ok I will get back to you. I am getting ready for something and will need to pull the thing out
They said it’s our responsibility to fix or replace

OK no problem, just defrost it then. If you defrost it for 8 hours the unit will work fine for at least a week:)

OK if the evaporator is all frosted up put the unit into defrost mode, open the refrigerator doors, Hold the light switches down and press the Refrigerator TEMP DOWN button 3 times then release the light switch and you should see F and D in the displays. If you do press the refrigerator TEMP DOWN button 2 more times and it should be in defrost mode. See if the heater starts to heat after a minute or so. If you are not sure put some ice on the calrod heater to see if it melts or sizzles. If it does you have a bad main control board and need to change it out. If it does not heater either the heater is bad, the defrost thermostat that is clipped to the top right corner of the evaporator is burned out(Open Circuit) or possibly a modular connector to the heater is corroded. Check all those things with your meter to determine which is bad if the heater does not come on when in forced defrost mode.

It’s not frosted over so what is Next

Ok did you put it into the defrost mode?

Didn’t think we needed to if there wasn’t any frost
Actually he did the defrost thing and it’s a little cooler
I️t is cooler but should we try to look for something else wrong

Is the fan running in the freezer section?

Fan is blowing

Ok and nothing was built up frost wise on the evaporator? If so was anything frosty on the evaporator?

No frost

OK if nothing is it freezing now? If so with the freezer door shut is there air flow from the vent in the refrigerator?

No movement with air

OK the return vents could be still iced up.