Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an old GE Over the Stove Microwave. It stopped

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old GE Over the Stove Microwave. It stopped working. I was able to trouble shoot it to a blown thermal fuse. I replaced the fuse but no the vent fan does not turn off. What could be the problem?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

17 years. It is a GE model JVM1090WW001.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I have spent 45 years working electronics repair and calibration so do have the background to safely troubleshoot and repair this.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That pretty well covers it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/19/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your GE microwave. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

Generally when you are experiencing an issue like this it just means that one of the door switches could be bad. If the switches are good and the fan runs when turned off, you need a new electronic control. These microwaves have 3 to 4 door switches that must all be in their proper positions to cook and heat up and when one goes out you will experience things like the turntable going when the door is open, Fan Running, etc. Luckily they are fairly inexpensive to replace as most of the switches are less than $20. The bad switch is usually the one that doesn’t “click” when you press the button on it. Sometimes the leads to the switch appear overheated. If it isn't something that you are comfortable doing yourself you can call a local service company or if you don't know one you can always call GE customer service and see who in your area is a certified service of GE appliances. The part number for the door switch is WB24X10029. You can get it on Amazon here: http://a.co/hfYbAXl

If your switches are good, you will need to replace the smart board. Here is the part number: WB27X1175 .

It is no longer being manufactured, so you will need to contact GE directly to see if they have any left in stock at 1-800-GE-CARES

Always unplug the microwave for 3 hours before taking it apart to discharge the High Voltage capacitor. Be careful when working on microwaves.

- Please rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.

This did not answer my question. The vent fan has nothing to do with the door switches. It is used only for the stove to venting.