Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Maytag Washer Water Level Knob Stem Broken. Is there any way…

Customer Question
Maytag Washer Water Level...

Maytag Washer Water Level Knob Stem Broken. Is there any way to change the level from Small to Extra Large without replacing the knob

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Maytag Centennial Commercial Tech.... Where can I find the Model #

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I do not have a clue what I'm doing..... I hope there is a way to bypass the knob to simply turn the water level to large load instead of small load

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2017
Appliance Technician: Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 months ago
Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issues today. Please give me a minute to review your question.

The model number is ***** to be kind of under the lid like where it shows in the picture I have linked here. Generally on the newer ones it is not possible to do without the knob but if you get the model number I can get a better look at which water level switch this one has.

MVWC400VW0

Alright well luckily it is possible on this one to change it even with the shaft of the Water Level switch broken, what you will want to do is reach into the tub area and towards the back just underneath where the console attaches to the top on the underside there will be a clip on the left and one on the right, they are just rounded little nubs and you just have to push those back up top and it should release the console so that it flips up. Once the console flips up it will give you access to that switch. On the switch you will want to be looking for the area I have circled on the attached picture, a little half circle, push the circle from whatever side it is on all the way to the opposite side and that will have it set for a large load. It is probably best that you unplug the unit before doing this. There shouldn't be any power going to that switch while it is off but it is better just to be safe. Once you have turned that to the other side you should be set for filling to a large load.

If you do have any issues releasing the console by reaching in through the tub area there are two screws at the back of the unit on brackets that connect the top of the cabinet and the bottom, you would want to remove the top screw on either side on those brackets and then to release the top you will want to pull it towards you, lift up, and then push back and it should disengage. This is useful if you are having trouble popping the clips but is not necessary if you can get to them by reaching through the lid.

Well..... the clip broke, fell behind the drum area, now it will not work at all.

Which clip are you referring to that broke?

The one at the left inside the drum under controls

Oh the one that holds the console in on the left side? You should be able to put that one back in without much issue, there are little clips that hold it in place at the underside of the console, were you able to get the console unlocked and flipped up at least?

Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician