Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a side by side LG Model GR-L207QUJA. It dispenses…

I have a side by...
I have a side by side LG Model GR-L207QUJA. It dispenses water normally. However, even though it makes ice, when I toggle for cubed ice or for crushed ice, the loud noise is horrendous and continues for 20 seconds. I though it was something to do with the ice chute door or, the bayonet fitting that goes into the back of the freezer interior, under where there would be ice-trays, if the auto-ice was off. Any ideas?
11/19/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you! Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

Yes you may have something binding int eh bin when it is trying to dispenser. Remove the bin and try to set it to ice or crushed and press the button does it still make the noise? If it does the aiger will need to be changed out, if not there could be something in the bin or caught in the mechanism causing the noise. See what you find and let me know.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

I will be around for awhile tonight

I just did as you suggested. The loud buzz actually lasts 7 seconds. It happens when I press for both cube or crush. What is an aiger? It's not a term that I am familiar with. Do you mean auger? You think a dispensing pipe is blocked and needs to be augered clear?
I am in Australia. It would not let me put in my telephone number, so we have to do this by typing. The
fitting at the back of the fridge is not perfectly straight on, the "gear" is slightly right at say, 5 past the hour
You'll have to lend a hand here. I have not used this service before and don't know how it works. I don't want a free trial for example. I only have a question about my freezer.

So if you take the bin out does it still make the noise?

I did exactly what you said. That's how I know how long the buzz actually lasts, on both ice-types.
It seems like you can't see my text. I was asking what an aiger is. I can't rate you at this stage as what you have said, I don't understand...

The auger is what turns the bin to push the ice out, what you are describing sounds like the dispenser flap door actuator, the one that opens the flap to let the ice drop into a glass.

Ok, a typo. I understand. When you say actuator is that the fat, white nylon rod? That has been replaced once. I think I may have another (or, It's the broken one!)
Please could you explain the part you think I need? I will go online and buy it
How do I know if you are there or not?

The dispenser actuator motor. I would buy that.

They do not describe a part called that. I am still looking
Can you think what LG would call that part?

Dispenser motor , this part

CLICK HERE

I recognize the chute lid. Did you see the part number?

You have a solenoid on yours, replace this part in the dispenser assembly, sorry for the delay there is a lag since you are in Australia.

CLICK HERE PART

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Thanks. I'll try and source the part in Australia first and buy in UK if I must.