Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher. No matter what, small and…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher. No matter what, small white and black residue seems to get stuck in the bottom of long glasses on the 2nd rack. I have already disassembled and cleaned the unit down to the grinder, including the devices on the second rack devices. I've also run vinegar through it. No matter what, it seems to get residue.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

~7 years Checking model

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

13103 Ideally

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing specific. AS I mentioned, I disammbled the unit down to the grinder and cleaned everything including the solids filter

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/19/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 8 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you! Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

That is typically sedimemt from the hot water heater coming through the water line. How old is your water heater and what kind of piping do you have in your house galvanized, copper, cpvc?

We have an electronic water heater Rinnai approximately 8 years old.I'm not an expert but our inspector report from when we moved in (six years ago) says supply lines are CPVC. Copper on the main line.

What is the model number of the dishwasher the 13103 number is ***** it.

It says 665.13103K902

OK great if you cleaned the chopper assembly out is the unit filling across the basin about 1/4" up the side of the dome float in the corner?

Sorry I'm a little confused by this question. Can you clarify? I'm not sure how I would know I would know the answer since I can't see inside the dishwasher while it's running.In general the dishwasher has been cleaning fine. I mainly see the residue on glasses on the 2nd rack.

When it fills with water all the way and starts to wash open the door and check the water level. It should be across the basin and about 1/4" up the side of the dome float is it?

I wasn't sure what when I should cut if off. I ran it for a minute or two on a new cycle. It filled the basin and went under the dome float but not up the side of the visible part of it. See photo.I'm not sure how long I should run it before it "fully fills."

Yes that is full of water so that is good and you took the whole chopper out and cleaned all that correct?

Correct. I wiped it down and bathed it in vinegar and baking soda and washed thoroughly.

OK then I would say this has to be from the water supply or is the black gasket deteriorating around the sump?

How would I find out if it's the water supply or black gasket?
Overall our water supply is very clean in general.

You would see the black gasket around the sump(the round one) crumbly and if you wiped it it would come off is pieces or smear black. If that is all ok remove the water line from the valve and check up in the valve on the screen in the valve fr black or white pieces you are finding. If you are then it is scale from the water heater and that does happen especially on tankless units.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.