Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool wll oven 27 inch model YGBS277PDQ7.

Customer Question
I have a Whirlpool...

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Replaced the Thermal Over temp module on the back (old one was Open Circuit). Oven elements still don't heat up. Breaker is on and clock running.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. Up to now.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is there any other fuse that could be open circuit.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/18/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

There is no other fuse, no. Provided you have 240 VAC to the oven, it has to be a control board issue. See the DOUBLE LINE BREAK RELAY on the attached sheet.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

With the 240 on, there is power to the input block. The oven temp probe reads 1 k ohms, the elements read about 16 to 20 ohms, convection fan reads about 16 ohms. The squirrel cage fan is ok also. No open circuits.

Testing between the black and red at the wiring terminal block, do you read 240 VAC? Seeing the lights on the panel does not mean the power supply is good....

I read 240 between the 2 hots & 120 between those &neutral. The range top is in the same circuit and it's OK. Good heat on those elements.

So, provided wiring is in good shape, that only leaves that double relay on the board as faulty.

You can bypass the relay by connecting the red and red/white wires at the control and see if it then heats when turned on. If it does, you know the double line relay is faulty! :)

If it's faulty, will the clock still work? When I select Convection, the convection fan doesn't come either. How do I recognize the double relay?

It sounds like the board has multiple issues. If you test the wires at the convection fan motor, you should read 120 VAC when Convect Bake is selected. The double line relay will have a red and red/white wire connected to it. If you post a picture of your board, I can mark it for you.

The clock wirks but nothing else it seems.
I have picture of the back of the board. Where do I send it?

You can use the ADD FILE button or email to***@******.*** if that is easier.

Got it, thanks! Please allow me just a few minutes.....

Ok

See the attached picture. That red boxed relay is the double line relay. Remove the wires and tape them securely together and then turn the oven to bake and see if it heats. If it does, that board will need to be sent in for repair, link below.

CLICK HERE

As I thought.
With power off, what should I measure (R) at the terminals? And power on and bake selected?

You won't measure anything with the power off. That is just a switch, it closes to contact the two wires attached to it. You cannot close that relay with the power off so there is no way to simply measure resistance.

I'll try yor suggestion to connect the relay wires together and select bake.
Didn't work. I jumpered the wires together, oven on bake and no luck.
Tired now. Will come back in the morning.
OK?

If that is the case then you have to b missing the other line to the bake element. I will be on and off tomorrow but will check in throughout the day. Have a great evening!

Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.