Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool stove super capacity 465 has a red light on…

Customer Question
My whirlpool stove super...

My whirlpool stove super capacity 465 has a red light on upper right side that won't turn off even though no burners are on. Nothing is heated up. Is it okay to leave it that way?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

18 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. We are leaving today for the winter.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, just want to make sure it is safe.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/18/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 9 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So yes, you can leave the oven this way and it's not a hazard, but you won't have a reminder anymore if you accidentally leave a burner on---that is the only problem. If you wanted to fix the problem, this issue means that one of the contacts in one of your burner control switches has failed. Now probably the easiest way to figure out which burner control switch needs to be replaced is to pull the oven out and disconnect the power cord. Remove the screws coming in from the back of the control panel and remove the back control access panel. Once this panel is removed, you can see the back of all 4 burner switches. Disconnect all the wires going to one of the switches and plug the range back in. If the light it off, that is the switch you need to replace. If the light stays on, then unplug the oven, reconnect all the wires, and try the next switch.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?