Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Oven door lock will not release after cleaning cool down.

what do I do? JA: What's...
Oven door lock will not release after cleaning cool down. what do I do?
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Jen Air. about 20 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no The oven has cooled down after cleaning, I press the button release, No buzzing sound and locking lever will not budge.
11/18/2017
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment while I get some information for you! Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

If the oven door is locked and will not open and the oven is cold try the following things to get the door to open. Note the oven needs to be cold or the thermostat will not open it after a self clean cycle right away.

First try to start a new self clean for about 30 secs and cancel it, often that will trigger the door latch to restart and reopen. If that does not open the door you can cut power to the unit for a full minute and power it back up and see if the door will open. If that does not work on some units you can remove the back and the latch motor is there with a lock rod going to a small hook iby the door. Those style units you can remove the rod and move it manually to open the door. If you do not have that style unit you need to get something flexible like a stiff piece of plastic or metal and slide it in between the door and frame and slide it sideways to hit the latch hook and press it to the left or right and open the door that way manually. Most latch hooks you will slide the piece from right to left pressing the latch hook left to release it...90% are like that, the others are the opposite way depending on make and model.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I tried all three and none of them worked so I will find a local tech. Monday. Thanks for trying to help.
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician