Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Jenn-Air LP Stove where one of the ovens does not…

I have a Jenn-Air...

I have a Jenn-Air LP Stove where one of the ovens does not ignite. everything else seems to be working just fine. is it likely that it is the valve, single thermal?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Jenn - Air PRG4810LP, approximately 8 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It just started happening this week. there is no Gas smell or leakage. I have removed the bottom oven liner and have attempted to light with lighter, this was unsuccessful

11/18/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Thank you

No problem. It sounds like your bake igniter is just going out and needs to be replaced. Igniters generally last about 6-8 years normally and then they either stop working all together, or they just get weak and don't draw 3.2 amps even though they are glowing. If an igniter doesn't pull 3.2 amps, the oven gas safety valve will not open up. Now the bake igniter is mounted to the bake burner below the floor inside the oven so you'd need to pull the floor out of the oven to access the igniter for replacement. Below is a link to the igniter for your model and it costs about $80.

CLICK HERE for igniter

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

you believe it is the infighter and not the valve? Based on your statement, the valve will not open if the igniter is not functioning which means that it would not work if you put a lighter or match next to it like a gas grill. Is that correct?

The valve almost never fails. But you are correct that a lighter or match won't like the burner because the igniter not drawing enough power stops gas from going into the burner. If you really wanted to test, you could unplug the 2 wires going to the igniter and turn the oven on and see if you're getting 110 volts between the 2 wires. If so, then your igniter is definitely bad.

Cool! Thank you very much Tyler. I will test that now and let you know.

No problem and good luck!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Confirmed. Once igniter was removed, I was able to verify 110 volts from the wires once over turned on.Thank you for all of your assistance! God Bless