Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Are you able to answer a question. I have a sub zero model…

Are you able to...

Are you able to answer a question

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I have a sub zero model 500 there is ice build up along the back wall several years ago I purchased a kit that sent heat through the drain tube that enters into the freezer compartment

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Sub-Zero is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It was built in 1995

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Model # is 550 yes I plan on doing the work myself

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Im am very mechaniocally inclined

11/17/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Can you take a picture of the ice and attach it using the paper clip button above this text box so I can see what the ice looks like?

I already thawed it out. The back of the sub zero has a gutter that runs along the entire lower part of the refrigerator with a drain in the middle. It has a clear tube the runs through the lower freezer compartment that drains the condensation. Several years ago I installed part number(###) ###-####. It’s a kit subZero developed that heats up the drain to allow the ice to melt. It is no longer working . I was curious if the kit needs to be replaced or if the power source is bad??

OK got it. Yes unfortunately it sounds like your defrost drain line heater has failed and needs to be replaced. That heater gets power from the defrost heater and you know the defrost heater is getting power or no water would end up in the drain trough. (###) ###-####is still the correct and current part number so you'll need to order and replace this part. Blow compressed air through the drain tub to make sure it's clear to start. Then remove the old kit and install the new one. Below is a link to the kit you can order.

CLICK HERE for drain line heater kit

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler,
You helped me last night with a issue I was having with my sub zero with ice build up. Question regarding the fan in the refrigerator compartment, is it supposed to blow into the refrigerator or cause a suction ?
It’s supposed to blow into the refrigerator. The suction is caused by warm air condensing when opening the door and closing it