Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Microwave - 13 years old -Model KHHS179L will not work,

Customer Question
display says Service needed error...
Microwave - 13 years old -Model KHHS179L will not work, display says Service needed error F7
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 13 years Model KHHS179L -Kitchen Aid says error F7
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no- issue is can it be fixed easily, if not I will replace
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: What type of error is F7
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
11/17/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 month ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So F7 is a terrible error to get because there is really no way to test for certain which part is causing the problem. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove the control panel. This will give you access to the door switches to the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 29 days ago

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc