Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Kenmore fridge, code F dH, what's the problem and how do I…

Customer Question
Hi, Kenmore fridge, code...

Hi, Kenmore fridge, code F dH, what's the problem and how do I fix?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

15 months, elite.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Can't think of anything. I did clean well the vent area in back.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/16/2017
Appliance Technician: AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just answer. Sorry for the delay.

Can you post the model number please?

795.73133.410

Thank You! Please allow me a few moments.

F dH indicates the Sensor did not get over 40 F in defrost

Faulty fuse, heater, control board
Controller assembly, defrost heater, relay on control board

Using the Star Rating Chart at the top of your page and rating me at least a 5 star is how I receive payment for helping you. Please if you do not understand my answer, don't hesitate to ask for more help. BONUSES appreciated. Please rate my service and not the appliance. Also rating me does not close this question and you can still post here if you need anymore help. Thank you!

how do I fix it?

You would need to test these parts and see which one is faulty. You can test them with a multimeter.

Where is each item specifically located and what voltage/amperage am I looking for for each item?

You can find the diagrams here. You can only test the heater. Looks like this model does not have a fuse. Test for continuity.

Please remember to rate me before you go.

Three Questions;
1) the defrost heater, given this is a refrigerator / freezer, how often does the heater operate?
2) And I suspect this is an intermittent activity as needed right?
3) So how do I get the "heater" to engage to test?

1)Timers are set anywhere from every 6 to 24 hours.

2) YES

3) Use your multimeter to test the heater for continuity. Set your multimeter to the R X 1 scale. Place the tester's leads on one terminal each. This should produce a reading anywhere in between zero and infinity. If your multimeter produces a reading of zero, or a reading of infinity, then your defrost heater should most definitely be replaced. There are many different kinds of elements, and so it is difficult to say what exactly the reading should be for your defrost heater. But it definitely should not be zero or infinity. If it is, replace the mechanism.

I'll try all this today, thank you!

Not a problem. Please make sure you rate my service 3 stars or higher so that I am paid for helping you. Thanks!