Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My subzero 561 ice maker sends ic e into the bucket but

My subzero 561 ice...

My subzero 561 ice maker sends ic e into the bucket but there is water also so everything freezes together and after a day I have one big slab

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Sub-Zero is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model 561 probably 15-20 years old. We didn’t purchase it. Everything else seems fine

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure. Don’t know if it is worth the money to fix it. Probably would use professional unless it is something very simple

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don’t think so

Answered in 1 day by:
11/18/2017
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician

hello, when you empty the bucket ,and it starts again filling the bucket , are there actually cubes formed in the bucket before it smoothes over into one big block ? thx Randy

seems we get cubes plus some residual water

ok thx , what happens with those is the contacts in the icemaker get pitted and worn so when it goes to fill it energizes the water valve for longer than it is supposed to , it is supposed to fill for approx 8 seconds..if more than that it fills the icemaker mold too much and after the intial few cubes you start getting too much water and it overflows into the ice bucket making that one big block of ice , in my experience it is the icemaker itself that is faulty ,its alittle tight to replace but probably not more than 30 min for a professional thx Randy

Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Randy 43
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician