Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How do I keep my freezer running when ambient temp. can go…

Customer Question
How do I keep...

How do I keep my freezer running when ambient temp. can go below freezing?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

It's a Kenmore 970-?????. Yes I checked the settimgs.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

That depends on what it is. Long time since HVAC mich.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I purchased an Electrolux Garage Kit (#5303918301. Instructions show the stat inside the box. I believe this unit is a refrigerator unit

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The kit is correct, and your'e right---it's installed inside the refrigerator. These combination refrigerator/freezer units only have one thermostat and it's inside the refrigerator. If the ambient temperature gets below where you have the refrigerator set, it will stop the compressor form coming on which causes the freezer to warm up. The garage kit adds heat to the refrigerator a bit so that the compressor will continue to cycle on and off thus keeping the freezer frozen.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

This is not a refer/freezer unit. freezer only.

OK then you don't need a kit at all. A freezer only unit will work if the ambient temperature gets cold, that isn't a problem. Now if it gets well below freezer (to 10 degrees or so ambient), the compressor may not start up because it's way too cold, but that's about it.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?