Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool gold, the evap fan is coming on for two…

Customer Question
I have a whirlpool...

I have a whirlpool gold, the evap fan is coming on for two sec then back on for two secs, I checked volts as there was 120 going to it, I also read that this is a jazz board issue, I don’t understand before I put one order

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Ten years, Gx5shdxvq02

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Is the 120 volts to the fan constant or does the voltage go away when the fan stops?

It is constant, I also hooked a extension cord from the two connections to the wall and the fan is working.

ok so if the voltage to the fan is constant and the fan is still on /off every two seconds then you have a faulty fan motor and the fan/ motor will need to be replaced.

Do you need a link to the part?

I have already replaced it, so when I put the new one on it did the same thing so I disconnected it and put leads from an extension cord on it and it ran fine. I left my leads on the fan when it was in the machine and it was a constant 120 how ever it wasn’t staying on the entire time. I read on a forum that this has happened to someone before and there response was a new jazz board but I want to know why before purchasing one

ok in your last post you stated ((I left my leads on the fan when it was in the machine and it was a constant 120 how ever it wasn’t staying on the entire time. )) do you mean the voltage was not staying on the entire time ?

Inside the refer, when I hook my leads to it, it is a constant 120 however the fan goes on and off every two to three sec. I put a new one in and it did the same thing. I pulled the new one out and hooked an ext cord to it and plugged it into the wall and it ran constant.

ok if your getting a CONSTANT voltage to the fan then the issue of the fan going on /off is the fan .

If you have constant 120 volts then the fan should be running the entire time the correct voltage is going to the unit.

I have to suspect since you have replaced the fan motor and still have the same issue that your meter is not reading the voltage correctly to the fan motor . Or the voltage is dropping out and coming back on fast enough that your meter is not reading it .

And if that is the case then yes it is the control board.

Do you need a link to the part info?

Do you have any more questions for me today?