Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

FPE21TSB not cold enough. Took panel an over evap off saw…

Customer Question
FPE21TSB not cold enough...

FPE21TSB not cold enough . Took panel an over evap off saw was all frozen over including fan blade . Thawed it all out and fan doesn't come on. What is my next step ?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just moved into place . Fridge had been on for several months with out being used .

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Fridgeadair probably 1980 model listed on first post

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can get parts

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No that's what I have found so far

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/15/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

to test the fan motor to see if it is getting voltage to it or not?

No I don't have one . But can get one . So walk me through the steps . I also want to know if I can even get parts if I figure out what is wrong .

ok I have gone on the Frigidaire tech site and the unit is so old that they do not even show that they have available parts for it .

But you can ohm out the fan motor itself and test to see if it is getting voltage or not .

But if it is getting voltage I do not show you can get the part to fix it any longer due to the age of the unit.

By law Appliance manufactures only have to stock a part for 7 years after the unit has been manufactured.

After that time most manufactures have all none sold parts returned to them and those returned are scraped and or recycled.

Ok that's what I figured . Sucks cause it is in awesome shape and is gonna be a bitch to get out of house . Thing weighs 300 pounds !
I thought about rigging up a fan somehow

You could do that as long as your getting voltage to the old fan motor .

The problem you will have if you run the electricity straight from an outlet and just let the fan run 24/7 is when the unit goes into a automatic defrost mode you will be circulating that hot air around also .because in defrost that fan should stop running .

if you can send me a good photo of the fan motor and the electrical connections to the fan I can then hopefully assist you better.

ok that does not show the electrical connections to power the motor !

But I see if both photos that you have some wires ( a brown and a Red wire) that have electrical tape on them .

If those wires got to power the freezer evaporator fan make sure that those connections are good , a connection in the freezer with electrical tape on them is not a good thing .

Ok I'll do that and get back to you later

ok no problem!