Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Whirlpool oven locked at the end of a baking cycle but I…

Customer Question
My Whirlpool oven locked...

My Whirlpool oven locked at the end of a baking cycle but I was able to turn off the oven and it then unlocked. The oven is about 11 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The oven is 11 years old and is called an Accubake. The care guide book lists Models RBD 245,275,305 also RBS 245,275, and 305.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No I'd prefer to have a certified technician check it out to see if it's safe to use and also whether any repairs are needed.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

This also happened 2-3 years ago and a technician didn't find any problem. The oven is not used extensively, however, I'm uneasy about it. The oven temperatures also seem to be about 15-20 degrees off.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Ok so it sounds like your door latch is beginning to fail. As ovens get older the switches on the latch will start engaging for no reason when they get hot and then they will lock the door. Sometimes if the oven is still hot you can just wait until it cools down and it'll unlock itself. If not, you'll need to replace the door latch assembly. The unit is safe to use, but if it keeps happening it may not unlock at some point when it locks up.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.