Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My kitchen aide stove locked while cooking. Just happened…

Customer Question
My kitchen aide stove...

My kitchen aide stove locked while cooking.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just happened first time. I have square in the oven.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

I would guess 20years.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably not. If it was easy yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes I need my squares out of the oven and I am planning for a shower on Saturday.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Ok so it sounds like your door latch may have failed. As ovens get older the switches on the latch will start engaging for no reason when they get hot and then they will lock the door. Sometimes if the oven is still hot you can just wait until it cools down and it'll unlock itself. Otherwise try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset. When you turn the circuit breaker on go inside and push on the door and hold it for a minute or two in case it's rubbing on the door latch not letting it release. If that doesn't work, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly. If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly. It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?