Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool french door icemaker stops working

Customer Question
My whirlpool french door...

My whirlpool french door icemaker stops working intermittenly. This is the second icemaker in this refrigerator and the unit is less than 6 months old. It used to work if I turned it off for a little while and the turned it back on. Now, when I turn it back on, it only produces a few smaller cubes every hour or so.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is only 1 1/2 years old. The icemaker was replaced near just at the end of the warranty period. The model # is WRX735SDBMOO.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What else do you need?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 9 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If the cube sizes are really small and it's not making a full batch, that is why your icemaker is jamming up. It's not getting enough water. See if your water dispenser pours out water at a good rate. If that checks good, then the problem isn't your water supply or the filter. Unfortunately that means your electronic water valve is restricting the water flow and the valve would need to be replaced. Below is a video on how to replace it.

CLICK HERE for valve video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Had to wait a couple of days for the part to be delivered. Came late yesterday, installed this morning. Just returned home, no ice.
Appliance Technician: Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 months ago
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician

The temperature inside the ice compartment needs to be at least 10 degrees for the icemaker to work. A fan from the freezer blows air up into this compartment . There are two " holes" for this to work a supply and a return to circulate the air , so you need to check the temperature in there where the icemaker is.

I will have to pick up a thermometer to check that. But, this has worked before and I haven't made any changes. Could these holes be blocked? Where would I find them?

Notice how the ice compartment is sealed off from the rest of the fresh food section ? Made this way because in reality the ice compartment is really part of the freezer so it can make ice. So the holes are in the ice compartment and the cabinet is just made this way - you won't see any separate air chutes or tubes , etc - no replaceable parts in other words. So with the ice maker out and holding the door switch shut you should feel cold air in this compartment - jbut yeah get a thermometer and see what the temp is - just lay it on the ice maker or any where in the compartment - give it ten minutes and then check the temperature.

Tested the temperature twice, came up with about 18 degrees. What now?
Checked the temperature twice. Coming up at about 18 degrees. So, what's next?

That's too warm . What is the freezer temperature or better still stick your thermometer in a carton of ice cream - does it read 0 degrees ?

No ice cream. Tucked between 2 bags of frozen vegetables for about 20 minutes. Getting about 3 degrees.

Could you feel cold air blowing inside the ice compartment. The parts blow up does not show a separate fan for just the ice compartment , so it is using the freezer fan to get air to the ice compartment. So the next place to check is inside the freezer behind the back wall where the evaporator is for an ice blockage where the air gets up to the ice compartment.

Left the thermometer in the freezer overnight and found it to be -1. Tried the ice compartment again and still get 18 degrees. However, I do feel cold air blowing in the back of the compartment. What you are talking about doesn't sound like something I can do myself. Is it?

Yes , I think at this point you need to call for service . Please rate my answers .