Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a fridge where the water has stopped coming out. The…

Customer Question
I have a fridge...

I have a fridge where the water has stopped coming out. The ice makes and releases but no stream of water

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

About 27 years old. MODEL GSF25XGRC CC

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can or ill pay a tech either one

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Ice makes but doesn't drop from the release valve

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/12/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

On this particular GE refrigerator, the most common issue is that the water line inside the door freezes. Remove the kick panel below the refrigerator and freezer doors and look for the water line disconnect just behind the front panel near the freezer door hinge. Disconnect the water line and shut the door. Press the water dispenser and see if water comes out of the water line at the bottom where you'd disconnected the water line. If water comes out, you'll need to just turn the refrigerator off and leave the door open for about 45 minutes and that will allow the door to heat up enough that when you connect the water line to the door again, it should start to dispense water again. Using a hair dryer to warm up the door is also very useful.

There is a kit designed to add a heater to the dispenser so this does not happen in the future if the problem comes back. Below is a link to the kit and it comes with instructions on how to install it. The insulation inside the door breaks down over time which is why this kit is needed now but not when it was new.

CLICK HERE for kit

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?