Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our oven fails to get hot enough to self clean, what may be…

Customer Question
Our oven fails to...

Our oven fails to get hot enough to self clean, what may be the problem?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Magic chef built in wall oven,25 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If that's possible, good morning by the way

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Like what?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 5 days by:
11/17/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your Magic Chef oven. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

This is very common on old oven. The wiring to the elements and associated connections to them, as well as the elements themselves get old and less efficient. Voltage drops across the wiring increases, leaving less power to the elements to get hot enough. It is really a function of age and there is little that can be done short of replacing the wiring and elements, which is impractical since there is so much wiring. No technician will really do that. The solution unfortunately would be to consider replacing the oven with a comparable self clean model.

- Please rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.