Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My problem is the same as the previous person's. I have an…

Customer Question
Hi. My problem is...

Hi. My problem is the same as the previous person's. I have an approx. 5 yr. old black Kohler kitchen sink that showed scratches early on. I've always been very careful with the finish, but, apparently, not enough. I was told to use Soft Scrub and nothing else by the dealer.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

5 years. Ever since the first scratch appeared. Somehow, I feel I've made it worse and have to admit I have used a sealant on it, I believe only twice.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would prefer to have a pro do it, but, if possible, I'd like to do it myself. ( I'm female)

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I've used Turtle Wax rubbing compound and Turtle Wax on it often. Haven't I really just damaged the porcelain, or the finish?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/11/2017
Appliance Technician: Rick, Customer Service replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, Customer Service

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Soft Scrub is a no/no it will eventually remove the gloss. The other products won't hurt the enamel and if they make it look better they won't hurt. But I wouldn't use rubbing compound which is abrasive. The best option is to use a wire rack that Kohler sells that fits in the bottom of the sink which keeps the itmes that scratch away from the sink surface. GelGloss is a good product to use to put some shine on it.

Hi, Rick.So, are you saying there is nothing that can be done,
professionally, to refinish the sink or remedy it, somehow?
No, no phone call, please.

I'm sorry but there is no way to renew the the original enamel. You could have the sink painted but the long term results would be worse than what you have now