Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I used to wash my rubber-backed fuzzy bathroom rugs in my…

Customer Question
I used to wash...

I used to wash my rubber-backed fuzzy bathroom rugs in my old agitator washers with cold water and I had no problems. Today I washed two of the rugs in my fairly new Maytag Centennial high efficiency washer on normal with cold water because I didn't see a gentle cycle, and they started coming apart! A whole lot of the loops came out, and the worst was that the banding around one rug completely tore away on one side. I am so upset because I have been looking to replace these for a long time and can't find the larger sized bathroom rugs in the colors I could use. Now I am afraid to wash the other rugs. Is there anything I can do to get a gentler cycle?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

My husband is looking it up now.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably not. Is there something wrong with the machine or just the cycle that I used?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We purchased the washer on 11-13-2014. I do laundry every other weekend. We usually do not have large loads and we travel about six weeks a year, so it doesn't get overused. It is model no. MVWC425BW.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/11/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The problem is that the new washer you have is a High Efficiency washer that uses little water. That causes the agitation to be rougher on the articles you are washing.

It does not matter what cycle you use, the water level never fills up like your old machine used to. Going forward, these rugs will need to be washed at a laundromat or you risk the same thing. If you replace the machine with a front loading machine, you will be able to use it to wash your rugs with no issues, though. The front loading machines are much gentler on your clothes.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!