Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

M y maytag Mod GT5A4XV Ser 14236552QY 14 it was turned off…

Customer Question
M y maytag...

M y maytag Mod GT5A4XV Ser 14236552QY 14 it was turned off for 2 months and will not freeze. The fan goes on the light is ok. I know it is old but it is a maytag after all

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 20 years old model GT5A4XV

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I am in the BVI where we have to do a lot ourselves

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My house went through hurricane Irma but the kitchen area was not affested by water damage

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/11/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 9 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your refrigerator . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 9 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

If the compressor is running behind the unit and the fan next to the compressor is running that would not be too good of an issue. Make sure those are running and make sure the freezer fan is running, if they all are then the unit is likely running low on freon, check and make sure the condenser is clean. If it is then remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the evaporator coil. If only part of it is frosted and not the whole thing, the rest being bare aluminum then you have a freon leak. If that is the case the fix is too expensive for the unit and I would start looking for a new one. Check that out and see what you find and get back to me!

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.