Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Magic Chef GS24X8D side by side R/F with ice

Customer Question
I have a Magic...

I have a Magic Chef GS24X8D side by side R/F with ice through the door, The ice maker will overflow occasionally. I have replaced the ice maker and the water solenoid valve and the problem continues. What I find really interesting is that with the ice maker completely removed, the solenoid is energized

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Magic Chef is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

20 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I am very handy and comfortable doing these repairs, I can read schematics and am mechnically inclined

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that covers it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/11/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Are you certain the water valve is energized to allow water flow because the power comes from the ice maker, see wiring diagram at the link below.

CLICK HERE

I agree, based on the schematic, that shouldn't be possible. To review, the problem began about a month ago when in the morning I went out to the kitchen in the morning and found water all over the floor, running out of the ice dispenser door. There was water all over inside the freezer compartment. Upon investigation, I noted the ice maker motor was continuously turning. I took the ice maker apart and noted there was a short in one of the connection. I replaced the ice maker and things went well for about a week when the same problem occurred again. We live in a rural area and have a well and I thought that after 20 years the solenoid may be hanging up from debris ad corrosion inside so today I replaced the solenoid. On the first cycle of the ice maker, the ice maker solenoid opened but did not shut off. I unplugged the unit, disconnected the solenoid, and shut off the water valve and removed the ice maker. I plugged the unit back in and then with the water still off, reconnected the solenoid which immediately energized. To confirm this was happening, I turned the water on and water flowed from the ice maker fill tube. After an hour of having the ice maker out, I reconnected the solenoid and it did NOT energize this time. Has me baffled.

The wire that brings power to the ice maker has to be shorted to the valve wire, probably in the wall somewhere but it could be anywhere.

I would look at the wiring around any connectors at the cabinet openings. That is usually where the issues are found.

Will see what I can find

Okay, if you see anything suspicious, can you post a picture here?