Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My oven door is locked and will not open. I tried shutting…

Customer Question
My oven door is...

My oven door is locked and will not open. I tried shutting off the circuit breaker but that didn't help.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Ge profile double oven. It's about 15 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's a simple fix.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your oven. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

Ok thanks.

If the oven door is locked and will not open and the oven is cold try the following things to get the door to open. Note the oven needs to be cold or the thermostat will not open it after a self clean cycle right away. Often a part on the latch circuit can fail due to the high temps in self clean so you may need a part to fix this but try these things first.

First try to start a new self clean for about 30 secs and cancel it, often that will trigger the door latch to restart and reopen. If that does not open the door you can cut power to the unit for a full minute and power it back up and see if the door will open. If that does not work on some units you can remove the back and the latch motor is there with a lock rod going to a small hook by the door. Those style units you can remove the rod and move it manually to open the door. If you do not have that style unit you need to get something flexible like a stiff piece of plastic or metal and slide it in between the door and frame and slide it sideways to hit the latch hook and press it to the left or right and open the door that way manually. Most latch hooks you will slide the piece from right to left pressing the latch hook left to release it.

If none of these things work, the oven will need to be pulled out and the latch circuit/mechanism repaired or replaced.

- I hope I have earned a five star rating from you. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.